The holiday season couldn’t be complete without holiday lights, but they should be used with caution. Holiday lights pose a risk of fire and other accidents if not used safely. Here are key holiday lights safety tips every homeowner should follow before decking the halls.
Only Christmas tree lights that are rated for indoor use and tested for safety should be used. The lights must have the label of an independent testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC).
Electric lights should never be put on metallic Christmas trees to avoid the risk of electric shock.
Each set of lights should be checked for worn or broken cords, broken or cracked sockets, and loose bulb connections. Damaged lights must be replaced.
No more than three standard-size sets of lights should be connected into an extension cord. Instead of overloading electrical outlets or extension cords, lights should be plugged into different circuits around the home.
Colour changing spotlights must not be fastened onto metallic trees. They should be used above or beside the tree to prevent tree branches from becoming charged with electricity from faulty lights.
All Christmas lights and decorations have to be turned off when going to bed or leaving home.
To keep pets safe, the electric cords and tree lights should be protected so that pets can’t chew them and get shocked. Here are more pet fire safety tips.
Outdoor lights must be rated for exterior use by an independent testing laboratory. Exterior lights and extension cords used outdoors need to be weather-resistant.
Exterior lights should be fastened securely to trees, house, walls or other firm support to protect from wind damage. However, light strings should not be attached with nails or staples, as these can cut through the wire insulation and start a fire. Only UL-approved hangers should be used.
Outdoor lights should be taken down within 90 days to prevent hazards from weather damage or critters chewing on them.
The lights need to be stored safely after taking them down. Tangled lights can lead to damaged cords and broken sockets. They’re also a pain to untangle! The strings can be wrapped around a piece of cardboard, covered in paper or fabric, and then stored in a sturdy container until next year.
Real candles should never be used to decorate a tree. Battery-operated, flameless LED candles can be used instead.
PuroClean is a leading commercial and residential restoration franchising company. Founded in 2001, the company offers fire and water cleanup and restoration services, mould mitigation and remediation, and biohazard cleanup and removal throughout North America, through its franchise network of 240 offices.