The PuroClean BlogCONTACT YOUR LOCAL OFFICE
As winter weather brings dangerous driving conditions, vehicle owners should prepare their cars for freezing temperatures, snow, and ice. Here are some key vehicle preparation tips for winter driving:
1. Drivers should create their own car emergency kit for wintertime. It should include at least a flashlight, blanket, snow/ice scraper, and sand or salt.
2. Fresh coolant should be added in the right proportion (50/50 water and coolant) before temperatures drop. The car owner’s manual provides instructions on how to change the antifreeze.
3. The heater system and the window defroster must be functioning properly. Windshield wipers that are worn or hardened should be replaced. Only windshield wiper fluid that has antifreeze in it should be used.
4. The car battery must be in proper condition to power up the car during freezing weather. The vehicle’s charging system should also be checked by a technician.
5. The brakes must be serviced and checked for wear. Good brakes are especially important while driving on ice or snow.
6. To facilitate starting the vehicle, winter-grade oil should be used. When the temperature falls below zero, lower viscosity oil should be used.
7. The tires, including the spare, should be properly inflated and checked for tread wear. Using all-weather tires or snow tires is recommended.
8. For drivers to improve their ability to control vehicles on icy roads, they should add tire chains on the drive wheels or on all wheels.
9. The gas tank should be kept at least half-full to prevent fuel line freeze-up. The gas tank should be full before parking the car for a lengthy period.
10. Excessive heat can make drivers drowsy, so dressing appropriately (like wearing extra scarves or mittens) is better than turning the heat up too much.
11. ince roads are slippery in winter, drivers should drive slowly and avoid hard breaking, fast turns, and quick acceleration.
Driving also becomes more dangerous in winter because as the days are shorter, it gets darker earlier. This increases the risk of car accidents – here are tips for driving after dark. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.