When Spring Storms Bring Flooding (Part 1): Preparedness
While spring is most often associated with new life, in many parts of the country it also heralds the beginning of the storm season. If early storms come down while the snow on the ground hasn’t melted yet, or when the ground is still frozen, the potential for devastating floods increases.
The following tips can help home and business owners to prepare for severe weather caused by spring storms:
- A family emergency evacuation plan that includes a designated meeting place should be created and practiced.
- All the adults living the home must make sure they know how to turn off gas, water and electricity in case of a severe storm.
- Property owners should consider getting an Extended Water Coverage, as part of their home policy, to cover some types of sewer backups, which are one of the main causes of water damage during major storms.
- An inventory with photos of the goods should be made. This would come in handy when filing the insurance claim.
- Insurance policies, deeds, property records and other important papers should be stored in a safety deposit box.
- Eves and downspouts must be kept clean.
- Lawn chairs and other items that could fly off during a windstorm should be brought in.
- It’s strongly recommended to prune loose branches from trees that are close to the home.
- It is important to make an emergency supply kit containing these items:
- Bottled water and nonperishable food for 3 to 5 days.
- A first aid kit that may include scissors, tweezers, cloth tape, antibiotic ointment, adhesive bandages, non-latex gloves, etc.
- A battery-powered flashlight and radio with spare batteries, as well as 1 or 2 external batteries for cell phones, etc.
- A “crank device” that generates current to power up cell phones, can be used as a flashlight, etc.
- Prescription medications, if necessary.
- Blankets and warm clothing.
- Personal hygiene items (toilet paper, tissue, toothbrushes and toothpaste)
For the remediation of water damage caused by spring storms or from any source, the PuroClean professionals are available 24/7. PuroClean’s well-trained, professional technicians are standing by and will mitigate the loss to prevent further damage, providing the best services in the industry.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn to get our notifications!