The PuroClean BlogCONTACT YOUR LOCAL OFFICE
Nobody wants mould lurking in their homes. However, no matter how hard homeowners try to avoid it, mould can still find its way into homes and belongings. Besides walls and wooden items, the carpet – which easily attracts moisture and dirt – is a common target for mould growth. Here are five key tips to keep the carpet mould-free.
1. Controlling the indoor humidity – Mould doesn’t only need standing water to grow – an area with increased humidity and heat is enough. As mould spores reproduce in excessively humid conditions, indoor humidity should be kept under 60%. Those who live in a humid part of the country should install a dehumidifier that’s suited for their room size. Also, the temperature in the home should be kept below 27 degrees Celsius.
2. Removing carpet from humidity-prone areas – Carpet should not be installed in areas that are more likely to experience humidity or water leaks, such as the basement and bathroom. These areas are more prone to flooding caused by storms, river or ocean overflows, washing machine failures, and more.
3. Installing antimicrobial carpet padding – When installing new carpet in a home, a rubber-slab carpet padding is preferred as it is less prone to developing mould and bacteria. Although it is more expensive than normal padding, it helps keep mould at bay, especially if the home is naturally high in humidity.
4. Removing standing water – Mould needs only a small amount of water and time (24-48 hours) to grow. So, when water damage occurs, the water should be removed immediately. The carpet should be dried even if the damage was minor, such as a small spill or leak. In case of flooding, the carpet may need to be replaced, depending on the floodwater (tap water, grey water or sewage).
5. Cleaning the carpet – Dirt and dust are mould “food” that needs to be removed regularly from the carpet using a good-quality vacuum cleaner weekly. When the carpet needs to be cleaned, using a dry form of cleaning is desirable. This process minimizes the amount of moisture the carpet absorbs.
Since mould can grow in most areas of a house, here are the top 7 causes of mould in homes and 6 sneaky areas in a home where mould may hide. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.