How to Remove Bad Smells from a Home
Offensive smells can sometimes be noticed in various areas of a home, such as bathroom, basement or kitchen. These odours can permeate textile materials, furniture and even walls. Here are some money-saving tips for eliminating bad oduors from various sources in a home:
- Removing the source of the smell – to truly fix the odour issue, the cause must be identified and eliminated. For instance, removing a dead rodent from the air ducts or fixing the plumbing could stop the bad smells from permeating a home.
- Hard surfaces, such as counter tops, tables, hard floors or walls should be washed with a standard cleaner or with a mixture of half water, half white vinegar.
- Pet odour removal
- Dogs should be washed with a solution of 1 liter of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with ¼ cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of mild dishwashing liquid. The pet’s eyes and ears should be avoided.
- The cat litter box must be emptied and cleaned by pouring a mixture of 1-2 centimeters of vinegar, some baking soda and water. After the solution sat for a few hours, it should be removed, then the box must be rinsed and allowed to dry.
- For more tips on how to get rid of pet odours in a home, this article can be helpful.
- Carpets and fabrics cleaning – if a carpet smells, it should be cleaned thoroughly. As a temporary solution, baking soda can be used to absorb the smells. After sprinkling a small amount of fresh baking soda, it should be allowed to sit for 15 or more minutes before being vacuumed.
- Kitchen smell removal
- Fridge – an open box of baking soda can be kept in the fridge to absorb smells. For more efficiency, shelves can be wiped down using hydrogen peroxide and a piece of cloth.
- Garbage disposal – after grinding some ice, Borax can be sprinkled down the disposal. Afterwards, the disposal can be rinsed with water.
- Fish and other food smells – boiling a cup of vinegar on the stove can do the trick. The vinegar vapors will absorb smells quickly.
- Garbage can – if the can itself smells, it should be washed with water and white vinegar. If the garbage smells, but the can isn’t full yet, the odours can be reduced by dropping some coffee grounds in it.
- Eliminating cigarette smoke – to completely remove tobacco smell, the smoke residue ought to be cleaned from every object and structure in the affected room(s). As a temporary solution, the smell can be masked with bowls of white vinegar, coffee grounds or activated charcoal. More tips on cigarette odour removal can be found here.
- Removing bathroom smells
- Toilet – adding 1 cup of white vinegar into the bowl and leaving it for 5 minutes works wonders. The toiled should be scrubbed and flushed afterwards.
- Sink drain – a mix of ½ cup of bleach and ½ cup of water should be poured down the drain. After 1 hour, the sink should be rinsed with water.
Following these tips can help lessen the odours in homes. For professional deodorization services in homes affected by tobacco smoke, fire, mould, or other causes, contact PuroClean at 877-261-7876. We will respond at any hour.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn to get our notifications!