How to Control and Remove Pet Odours from Households
According to the Canadian Animal Health Institute, at least two thirds of Canadian households include one or more pets, most of them being cats or dogs. Even though we love them like family, pets often bring unwanted smells into the home.
The following tips can help homeowners keep their house fresh and pet odour free:
- Pets need regular bathing and grooming. Washing them helps remove odours and dirt, while frequent brushing prevents shedding hair from reaching furnishings.
- Furniture and carpets should be regularly cleaned and vacuumed. Pet owners should make sure that the cleaning products they use won’t harm their animal companions.
- A common solution to removing general pet odour is baking soda. It can be used this way: after sprinkling a small amount of baking soda on carpets and fabrics, it should be left on for at least 15 minutes, after which it must be vacuumed. Baking soda can also be used as a substitute for home air fresheners.
- Air filters with a HEPA air filtration system may be used to recycle the air in the household. The HVAC filters should be changed monthly in order to provide the best air purification possible.
- The objects that the pets use (toys, food containers, etc.) have to be cleaned weekly. Doing so not only improves the smell in the home, but also the pets’ health.
- Lastly, to thoroughly clean carpets and remove the odours from them, a carpet cleaning machine can be rented and uses with white vinegar.
The PuroClean team is ready to provide help for any odour related problems after disasters caused by fire, water or mould.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn to get our notifications!