Home Remedies for Winter Allergies
During winter, the amount of dust mites, mould or pet dander in homes usually increases. This is bad news to people who are sensitive to those allergens. It’s easy to be affected as the cold is keeping everyone indoors. Here are several ways to combat indoor allergies this season:
- The humidity should be kept below 50% (30-40% is ideal) using a humidifier in dry areas and a dehumidifier in damp areas. Balanced humidity prevents dust mites and mould from growing.
- Carpets should be vacuumed regularly with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter to reduce the amount of dust mites and pet allergens.
- Carpeting should be replaced with hard floor surfaces that attract less allergens: tile, vinyl, laminate or hardwood. Hard floors must be mopped regularly.
- Bedding should be washed weekly in hot water (60 degrees Celsius or more) to kill dust mites. Hypoallergenic cases for mattresses and pillows can help trap dust mites.
- Pet owners should keep animals out of the bedroom and wash their hands after touching the pets if they are allergic to pet dander.
- Pets should be bathed weekly to decrease dander levels. Bathing them more often than once a week is not a good idea as it dries out the pet’s skin, resulting in more dander.
- The exhaust fan should be used when cooking or showering to decrease humidity.
- High-efficiency furnace filters should be used – these trap 30 times more allergens than normal filters.
- The number of objects that can’t be cleaned, such as pillows or stuffed animals, should be reduced in the home.
An allergic reaction can be easily confused with a simple cold. Before taking any medication, those who are affected must make sure they know how to tell the symptoms apart. For instance, cold symptoms appear slowly and one at a time, whereas allergy symptoms take effect rapidly and all at once.
The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn to get our notifications!